Preparation Time: 15 minutes.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes.
Makes 4 parathas.
For the Dough ¾ cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta) 1 tsp oil Salt to taste For the stuffing 2 tbsp oil 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) 1 tsp ginger (adrak) paste 1 tsp green chilli paste 1 cup chopped chawli (cow pea) leaves ½ cup chopped spinach (palak) ¼ cup grated carrot Salt to taste Other ingredients Whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta) for rolling 4 tsp oil for cooking For serving Curds (dahi) For the dough Combine the whole wheat flour, oil and salt in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water. Keep aside.
For the stuffing
1. Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
2. Add the ginger paste and green chilli paste and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
3. Add the amaranth leaves, spinach, carrot and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
How to proceed
1. Divide the dough into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
2. Divide the stuffing into 4 equal portions. Keep aside.
3. Roll out a portion of the dough into a 100 mm. (4") diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling. Place a portion of the stuffing in the centre of the circle.
4. Bring together all the sides in the centre and seal tightly.
5. Roll out again into a 125 mm. (5") diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
6. Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the paratha using 1 tsp of oil till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides.
7. Repeat steps 3 to 6 to make 3 more parathas. Serve immediately with curds.