1 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
4 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup whole milk
8 ounces freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
2 ounces shredded fontina cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Stir in the garlic and flour, and cook and stir until the garlic is fragrant but not browned, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in heavy cream and milk, whisking constantly until the mixture is hot and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Gradually stir in the Parmesan cheese and fontina cheese.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Continue to simmer until the cheese has melted and the sauce is thickened, stirring often, 20 to 30 more minutes.