To Be Blended Into Garlic Green Chutney (makes Approx. 3/4 Cups)
1 1/2 cups roughly chopped coriander (dhania)
1/4 cup freshly grated coconut
1 tbsp chopped spinach (palak)
1 tbsp roughly chopped garlic (lehsun)
2 tbsp roughly chopped green chillies
salt to taste
a few drops of lemon juice
1/4 cup water
For The Aloo Masala
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
6 to 8 curry leaves (kadi patta)
1 cup boiled , peeled and mashed potatoes
1/4 cup boiled green peas
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp green chilli paste
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
salt to taste
8 bread slices
8 tsp butter
8 tsp garlic green chutney , recipe above
1 tsp sandwich masala
8 sliced onions
12 tomatoes slices
1/2 cup capsicum slices
3 tsp butter for brushing and greasing
For The Topping
2 tsp butter for brushing
4 tbsp nylon sev
garlic green chutney
- For the aloo masala
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the potatoes, green peas, turmeric powder, green chilli paste, coriander and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another minute.
- Divide the aloo stuffing into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
How to proceed
- Apply 1 tsp of butter and 1 tsp of garlic green chutney on each bread slice and keep aside.
- Place a slice of bread, with the buttered side facing upwards, on a clean, dry and flat surface.
- Place one portion of the aloo masala and spread it evenly over it.
- Arrange 2 onion slices, 3 tomato slices and 6 to 7 capsicum slices over the stuffing and sprinkle ¼ tsp of sandwich masala evenly over it.
- Cover it with another slice of bread, with the buttered side facing downwards and press it lightly. Spread ¼ tsp of butter evenly over the bread slice.
- Grease a sandwich toaster on both the sides using ½ tsp of butter.
- Place the sandwich in the sandwich toaster and cook on a medium flame, till it turns brown and crisp from both the sides.
- Cut into 6 equal pieces, place it on a plate and apply ½ tsp of butter evenly over it.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of sev evenly over it.
- Repeat steps 2 to 8 to make 3 more toasts.
- Serve immediately with tomato ketchup and garlic green chutney.
Cheese masala toast: place a generous amount of grated processed cheese over the capsicum slices (at step 4 after the capsicum slices) and proceed as per the recipe. Finally at step 8 replace the nylon sev with grated processed cheese for the topping and serve immediately.