for 8 servings
2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thigh
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 cup cornstarch
3 cups flour
1 ½ cups water
2 tablespoons oil
2 cups oil, for frying
1 tablespoon oil
¼ teaspoon chili flake
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
½ teaspoon ginger, minced
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup orange juice
½ cup white distilled vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon sesame oil
- On a cutting board, cut chicken into 1x1-inch (2x2-cm) cubes and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine salt, white pepper, cornstarch, and flour. Whisk to combine.
- Add the egg, water, and oil until it reaches the consistency of pancake batter.
- Add the chicken to the batter and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok or heavy bottom pan to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Gently add the chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Set a pan to medium-high heat and add the oil.
- Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the red pepper flakes, ginger, and garlic, and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add the sugar and brown sugar, and stir to combine.
- Add in the orange juice and allow the sugars to begin to dissolve in the liquid, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the vinegar and soy sauce, and stir to combine.
- Add the cornstarch and water together and whisk to combine. Add to the pan and stir.
- Continue to cook the sauce until maple syrup consistency is achieved.
- Add in the fried chicken and stir until completely coated in the sauce.
- Top with sesame oil.