for 6 servings
2 tablespoons oil
1 yellow onion, diced
3 large carrots, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 ribs celery, sliced
2 cups (150 g) mushroom, sliced
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon italian seasoning
¼ cup (30 g) all-purpose flour, or arrowroot, plus more as needed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup (240 mL) vegetable broth
2 cups (480 mL) almond milk
2 cups (300 g) broccoli floret
2 cups (250 g) rotisserie chicken, heaping amount, shredded
2 crusts pie crust, 1 store-bought package or 1 package of store-bought biscuit dough (6 biscuits)
1 small egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to pie crust or biscuit package specification.
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and carrots and cook 5 minutes, or until the onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add the garlic, celery, and mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and arrowroot starch. Stir to combine.
- Add the lemon juice, vegetable broth, almond milk, broccoli, and chicken. Stir to combine. Add more arrowroot, if necessary, to reach desired thickness. Remove mixture from heat and allow to cool.
- To make one family-style pie: Place one pie crust into an ungreased 9-inch (23-cm) pie dish. Fill with the vegetable mixture. Top with the second pie crust, folding under any excess crust and crimping the edges with a fork.
- Brush the crust evenly with beaten egg. Cut a few slits in the top crust.
- Bake according to pie crust packaging.
- Cut and serve warm.
- To make individual pies: Arrange 6 or more ramekins or bowls on a baking sheet.
- Scoop the vegetable mixture into the ramekins.
- Top each ramekin with 1 uncooked biscuit.
- Bake according to biscuit packaging.