1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp green chilli paste
1/2 tsp ginger (adrak) paste
1 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
2 tsp oil
salt to taste
oil for deep-frying
- Place the whole wheat flour in a muslin cloth.
- Tie it tightly.
- Place it in hot steamer and steam for 15 minutes.
- Remove the flour from the muslin cloth and cool slightly, the whole wheat flour must have become hard.
- Break into small pieces and blend in a mixer till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add all the other ingredients and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions.
- Take a portion of the dough and press it into a chakli “press” and cover it with the lid.
- Press out 50 mm. (2”) diameter round swirls of chakli onto an inverted flat board or thali, working closely from the centre to the outside to get approx. 25 chaklis.
- Press the chaklis very gently with the back of a flat ladle.
- Repeat steps 8 to 10 to make 1 more batch of 25 chaklis.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, deep fry the chaklis on a medium flame, till they turn golden brown in colour and crisp from both the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Cool and store in an air-tight container.