3/4 cup chana dal (split bengal gram)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
1 tbsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
1 tsp finely chopped ginger (adrak)
1 tsp chopped green chillies
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
salt to taste
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- Soak the chana dal in enough hot water for 1 hour. Drain well.
- Combine the soaked chana dal, turmeric powder and 2½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Whisk the dal using a whisk. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, asafeotida, garlic, ginger and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, dried mango powder and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the dried fenugreek leaves, salt, whisked dal, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot.