For the beef
2 pounds beef chuck roast trimmed and cut into 1-2 inch chunks
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
For the stew
2 tbsp cooking oil
5 cloves garlic minced
1 medium onion chopped
3 medium carrots sliced
1 lb baby potatoes
4 tbsp red wine
4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp Italian Seasoning or oregano
1 bay leaf
4 tbsp tomato paste
4 cups beef broth
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp green peas fresh or frozen
fresh parsley chopped (optional)
- Pat the beef dry and cut into 2-inch cubes. Place the cubes in a large ziplock bag along with flour, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Shake until well coated.
- Place a large skillet on medium-high heat. Once hot, add cooking oil followed by enough beef to fill the pan 3/4 full in one layer.
- Sear in skillet until lightly browned on all sides, about 5 minutes total. Then transfer the beef to a large plate. Repeat for any remaining beef.
- Add garlic, onions, carrots, baby potatoes and browned beef cubes into the slow cooker.
- Add red wine, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, tomato paste and beef broth to the slow cooker. Mix well.
- Cook on low for 8-9 hours or high for 4-5 hours until potatoes are tender and meat is tender.
- About 30 minutes prior to serving, mix together cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water in a small bowl until smooth. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 20-30 minutes until the broth has thickened.
- A few minutes before serving, add peas to the slow cooker.
- Serve with optional chopped parsley on top for garnish.