for 4 servings
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb (455 g) ground beef
2 teaspoons salt, divided
1 teaspoon pepper, divided
2 cups (80 g) fresh spinach
5 large russet potatoes
1 large egg
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ cup (50 g) shredded parmesan cheese
½ cup (50 g) shredded cheddar cheese
marinara sauce, warmed, for serving
fresh parsley, chopped, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil until shimmering, then add the onion.
- Sauté the onion until golden and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ground beef, 1 teaspoon of salt, and ½ teaspoon of pepper. Break down with a spatula and cook until brown and cooked through.
- Add the spinach and stir until wilted. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Peel the potatoes and grate.
- Place the shredded potatoes in a kitchen towel over a bowl and wring out the water.
- In another large bowl, add the shredded potato, egg, remaining teaspoon of salt, remaining ½ teaspoon of pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and
- Parmesan cheese. Mix until combined.
- Line a small bowl with plastic wrap.
- Place 1 cup (250 g) of the potato mixture in the bowl and use a spoon to spread the potatoes around the sides of the bowl.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of the potatoes and add a large spoonful of the beef mixture, being careful not to overfill.
- Pick up the sides of the plastic wrap and close the potatoes, twisting to create a sealed ball.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Place the potato balls on a greased baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the potatoes are crispy and brown.
- Serve topped with marinara sauce and parsley.