1 box vanilla cake mix, plus ingredients called for on box
3 (16-oz.) tubs vanilla buttercream frosting
Blue food coloring
1 (10-oz.) package marshmallows
2 tubes blue gel frosting
- Make the cupcakes: Prepare cupcakes according to package’s instructions. Remove from muffin tin and cool completely before taking off cupcake liners.
- Spoon frosting into a large, microwave-safe bowl. Add 8 to 10 drops blue food coloring, stirring until combined. Continue adding food coloring until desired blue is reached.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and top with a cooling rack. Place cupcakes upside-down onto the rack, about an inch apart. Take a marshmallow, swipe one end with a little frosting, and gently place on the center of each upside-down cupcake, forming the base of Cinderella’s gown.
- Frost the cupcakes: Place the remaining frosting in the microwave, heating it for 20 to 25 seconds, then stir. It should be easily pourable.
- Pour frosting on top of each cupcake, pouring directly over the marshmallow and slowly spiraling outward, until the cupcake is coated entirely. If the cupcake shows through the frosting, give it a second coating. (Tip: If you’re running low on frosting, lift the cooling rack and scrape off any frosting that dripped onto the parchment sheet, microwaving it until it’s pourable again.)
- Set aside for 10 minutes, so the frosting can set. Use gel frosting to draw Cinderella’s waistline, tracing the area where the marshmallow and the cupcake touch. Beneath that, draw two rows of ruffles on the cupcake itself. Finish by drawing a v-shape on the top of the marshmallow to resemble the top of Cinderella’s dress. Serve.