for 4 servings
1 lb (455 g) ground beef
1 lb (455 g) ground pork
1 cup (50 g) panko breadcrumbs
½ cup (75 g) dried minced onion, fine
¼ cup (25 g) grated parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup (10 g) fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon kosher salt
pepper, to taste
15 oz (425 g) ricotta cheese
½ cup (20 g) fresh basil, chopped
½ cup (20 g) fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup (110 g) grated parmesan cheese
1 pinch salt
12 oz (340 g) jumbo pasta shell, cooked according to package instructions
32 oz (905 g) marinara sauce
parmesan cheese, for sprinkling
fresh basil, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a medium bowl, mix together the beef, pork, bread crumbs, onion, Parmesan cheese, garlic, parsley, eggs, salt, and pepper until just combined.
- Take a walnut-sized portion of the meat mixture and roll into a ball. Repeat with remaining meat and transfer to an oiled wire rack set over a baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs for 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Make the ricotta-herb mixture: combine the ricotta cheese, basil, parsley, Parmesan cheese, and salt in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Stuff a tablespoon of ricotta mixture into a jumbo shells, then stuff a meatball into the shells.
- Spread the marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9x13-inch (23x33-cm) casserole dish, then lay in the stuffed shells. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the marinara sauce is warm.
- Top with chopped basil.