for 6 servings
1 lb (455 g) flank steak
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon pepper, divided
2 teaspoons salt, divided
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 large white onions, sliced
3 green bell peppers, sliced
6 red bell peppers
15 slices provolone cheese
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F (200˚C).
- Cut the flank steak against the grain into ⅛-inch (3-mm) thick slices.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil, until shimmering. Add the steak, paprika, garlic powder, ½ teaspoon of pepper, 1 teaspoon of salt, and the Worcestershire sauce.
- Mix to coat the meat with the spices and cook until the meat is cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer the meat a bowl, leaving the juices in the pan.
- Cover and set aside until ready to use.
- Add the butter to the pan with the meat juices. Add the onions and cook until tender and shiny, about 10 minutes. Add the green bell peppers and the remaining ½ teaspoon of pepper and teaspoon of salt, and cook until the onions and peppers are caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Cut the top off of a red bell pepper. Cut around the seed pod, then pull it out of the pepper. Remove any remaining seeds. Repeat with the rest of the peppers.
- Cut 9 of the provolone slices in half.
- Place the peppers in a 9x13-inch (23x33-cm) baking dish, cut side up. Scoop a bit of steak filling into each pepper, followed by the peppers and onions, then 3 half slices of provolone. Repeat with the rest of the steak, then the rest of the peppers and onions. Place a whole slice of provolone on top of each pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the skin of the peppers is shriveling, and the cheese is golden.
- Top with parsley.