for 6 servings
2 ½ cups (310 g) flour, unbleached
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 large eggs
1 cup (255 g) applesauce
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ½ cups (330 g) light brown sugar
1 cup (240 mL) vegetable oil
½ cup (110 g) light brown sugar
¾ cup (95 g) unbleached flour
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, sliced
6 large apples
2 tablespoons lemon juice
vanilla ice cream, for serving
caramel sauce, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Make the cake: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, cloves, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Add the eggs, applesauce, vanilla extract, light brown sugar, and vegetable oil, and whisk until the batter is thick and smooth.
- Make the topping: In a medium bowl, use a fork to cut together the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Cut the tops off the apples and use a spoon to hollow out the centers, making sure to remove all seeds. Place the apples in baking pan with tall sides. Brush the rims of the apples with lemon juice.
- Fill the apples with cake batter to ¼-inch (6-mm) below their rim. Sprinkle the topping over the batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the tops are crisp and golden brown and the cake is baked all the way through.
- Remove the apples from the oven and serve with ice cream and caramel sauce.