for 8 servings
1 box yellow cake mix, prepared
2 cups (350 g) chocolate chips
4 cups (500 g) flour
2 cups (440 g) brown sugar
2 cups (460 g) butter, softened
4 tablespoons milk
½ cup (85 g) chocolate chips
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons salt
½ cup (85 g) chocolate chips, chopped
2.5 sticks butter, unsalted
2 ½ cups (400 g) powdered sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Prepare 1 box of yellow cake mix according to instructions on box.
- Add chocolate chips to the cake batter.
- Grease two 8-inch (20 cm) cake pans, and pour batter into each pan. Bake according to box instructions.
- Remove cake from pans and let cool.
- Prepare for the cookie dough by evenly spreading flour out on a baking tray and baking for 5 minutes. This will cook out any potential bacteria in the raw flour.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, butter, vanilla, milk, chocolate chips, and salt until combined evenly. If flour is clumpy after baking, use a siever to help get out the clumps.
- Take a cake pan and line it with plastic wrap. Then fill the pan with half of the cookie dough mixture.
- Take the other half of the cookie dough mixture, and roll it into small balls to be used as a garnish.
- Refrigerate cookie dough layer and dough balls for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix butter, powdered sugar, heavy cream, vanilla extract, and salt with hand mixer.
- Use a serrated knife to cut the round top off of the cake so the cakes are even and flat. Spread a light layer of buttercream at the center of the cake stand.
- Place the first cake on a cake stand, and spread a light layer of buttercream at the center.
- Remove cookie dough layer from the pan using the plastic wrap, and place layer on top of the cake. Spread a light layer of buttercream at the center of the cookie dough layer.
- Place second cake on top. Shave down the edges of the cake if necessary so that each layer evenly fits over the other.
- Add the remaining amount of buttercream to the top layer of cake, and frost the cake completely.
- Top with cookie dough balls.
- Slice and serve.