for 8 servings
1 sheet puff pastry, 9x9 in (23x23 cm)
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 stick
1 cup (220 g) brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
- Using an 8-inch (20-cm) round cake pan, cut a circle out from the puff pastry. Using a fork, poke holes all over the pastry to provide ventilation. Set aside.
- Cut the tops and bottoms off of the bananas, then halve 2 of the bananas crosswise and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, then add the brown sugar and cook until fully incorporated and the sauce appears amber in color, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and cinnamon. Stir until combined.
- Add the bananas to the pan and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Turn the bananas to fully coat them with the caramel, then remove from the pan. Reserve the caramel.
- Grease the cake pan. Arrange the bananas on the bottom of the pan. Pour over the caramel sauce.
- Cover the bananas with the circle of puff pastry and ensure the edges are tucked into the pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden.
- Let cool at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
- Slice and serve with vanilla ice cream.