1 cup thick beaten rice (jada poha)
3/4 cup yellow moong dal (split yellow gram) , washed and drained
1 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
1/2 cup grated coconut
1 tsp finely chopped green chillies
1/2 tsp finely chopped ginger (adrak)
1/4 cup finely chopped coriander (dhania)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
salt to taste
ghee for cooking
- Combine the poha, yellow moong dal and fenugreek seeds in enough water in a deep bowl and soak it for 1 hour 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Blend in a mixer along with coconut and 1 cup of water till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add all the other ingredients and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), sprinkle a little water on the tava (griddle) and wipe it off gently using a cloth.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on it and spread it in a circular motion to make a 175 mm. (7”) diameter circle.
- Smear a little ghee over it and along the edges and cook on a medium flame till the dosa turns brown in colour.
- Turnover and cook again till the other side gets cooked as well.
- Fold over to make a semi-circle or a roll.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 11 more dosas.
- Serve immediately with coconut chutney and sambhar.