for 2 servings
¼ cup (60 mL) rice vinegar
⅓ cup (80 mL) soy sauce
⅓ cup (75 g) brown sugar
¼ cup (60 mL) vegan worcestershire
¼ cup (55 g) tamarind paste
2 tablespoons peanut oil
½ bunch green onion, or chinese chives. sliced plus more for serving
2 red thai chiles, sliced plus more for serving
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, peeled into ribbons
½ cup (50 g) bean sprout
¼ cup (30 g) roasted unsalted peanut
8 oz (110 g) tofu, cooked, cubed
- Soak the rice noodles in room-temperature water for 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Make the sauce: in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together the rice vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and tamarind paste.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove the sauce from the heat and set aside.
- Heat a large cast-iron pan or wok over high heat. Add the peanut oil, scallions, chiles, and garlic. Stir, and cook for about 2 minutes until scallions soften. Add the carrots, stir to incorporate, and cook for about 1 minute. Add the bean sprouts and stir to incorporate.
- Add soaked rice noodles and stir to evenly distribute all ingredients, then stir for 1-2 minutes to heat the noodles through.
- Add the sauce and stir to combine.
- Add the tofu, stir to incorporate, and remove the pan from the heat.
- Serve immediately with peanuts, bean sprouts, scallions, and red chiles, if desired.