( Makes Approx. 1 1/2 Cups )
35 to 40 whole dry kashmiri red chillies , deseeded and soaked in 1/3 cup warm water.
For The Bhaji
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 cup chopped capsicum
2 cups finely chopped tomatoes
2 tsp chilli powder
1 1/2 tbsp pav bhaji masala , refer handy tip
salt to taste
3/4 cup boiled cauliflower florets
1/3 cup hara vatana (dried green peas) , soaked , boiled and mashed
3/4 cup boiled green peas
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
For The Pav
8 ladi pav
8 tsp butter for cooking
1 tsp pav bhaji masala
For The Garnish
1 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
For the bhaji
- Heat the oil and butter on a large tava (griddle) or in a kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add 2 tbsp of red chilli paste and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the capsicum and sauté on a medium flame for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, chilli powder, pav bhaji masala, salt and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes or till the oil separates, while mashing continuously with a potato masher.
- Add the cauliflower, mashed hara vatana, green peas, coriander and 1/3 cup of water, mash well using a potato masher and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring continuously.
For the pav
- Slit 2 pavs vertically and keep aside.
- Heat a large tava, add 2 tsp of butter and ¼ tsp of pav bhaji masala, mix well and slit open the pavs and place on it.
- Cook on a medium flame till they turn light brown and crisp on both the sides. (add more butter if required).
How to serve
- Place ¼th of the bhaji, 2 pavs, a few tomato slices, a lemon wedge and a papad on a plate.
- Top the bhaji with 1 tsp of butter and serve immediately garnished with coriander.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more plates.
Handy tip :
Pav bhaji masala is a spice blend, which is readily available under different brand names at most grocery stores.