1/2 cup chana dal (split bengal gram)
1/4 cup roughly chopped coriander (dhania)
2 tsp roughly chopped green chillies
1/2 tsp roughly chopped garlic (lehsun)
1/2 tsp roughly chopped ginger (adrak)
2 tbsp finely chopped onions
1 tbsp rice flour (chawal ka atta)
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
salt to taste
oil for deep-frying
- Combine the chana dal and enough hot water in a deep bowl and soak for 1 hour. Drain well.
- Combine the chana dal, coriander, green chillies, garlic and ginger in a mixer without using any water and blend to a coarse paste.
- Transfer the paste into a deep bowl, add all the other ingredients along with 1 tbsp of water and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, drop spoonfuls of the mixture in the oil and deep-fry a few at a time till they turn crisp and golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Serve immediately with green chutney and tomato ketchup.