for 5 servings
nonstick cooking spray
8 oz (225 g) cream cheese, softened
¼ cup (50 g) granulated sugar, plus 1 tablespoon, divided
2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
17.5 oz (495 g) puff pastry, 1 sheet
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
½ cup (80 g) powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk, or heavy cream
- Preheat the oven 350°F (180°C) to and grease an 8-inch (20-cm) round cake pan with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, ¼ cup (50 G) of sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and the vanilla until smooth.
- Transfer the cream cheese mixture into a piping bag or plastic bag with a large round tip.
- Roll out the puff pastry until it’s ⅛-inch (½-cm) thick.
- Pipe the cream cheese mixture along one short edge of the pastry sheet, then roll up until just sealed.
- Use a knife to cut along the edge to create one roll.
- Repeat three more times, or until all the puff pastry is used.
- Begin to twist the first roll to create a swirl.
- Connect the next piece of dough by pinching to seal the edge to the end of the first piece.
- Continue to wrap and seal all pieces until finished.
- Using a spatula transfer the dough to the cake pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter with the remaining tablespoon of sugar and teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Brush the butter mixture over the dough.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the puff pastry is golden brown and cooked through.
- In a liquid measuring cup or bowl, mix the powdered sugar and milk until smooth.
- Pour the glaze over the danish swirl.