for 4 servings
2 tablespoons flax meal
6 tablespoons water
olive oil, to taste
1 carrot, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
½ cup (75 g) onion, diced
2 cups (150 g) cremini mushroom, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup (50 g) red bell pepper, diced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon dried parsley
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon vegan worcestershire
2 cups (300 g) lentils, cooked
¾ cup (170 g) brown rice, cooked
¾ cup (75 g) quick-cook oats
¼ cup (70 g) ketchup
1 teaspoon maple syrup
- To make the flax eggs, combine the flax meal and water in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large saucepan, heat a bit of olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the carrot and celery and cook until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the onion and mushrooms. Cook another 3-4 minutes, until the onions are semi-translucent.
- Add another drizzle of olive oil to the pan, then add the garlic, bell pepper, and tomato paste. Cook for 2 more minutes, until the tomato paste is slightly browned.
- Add the salt, pepper, parsley, and thyme, and cook for 1 more minute, until fragrant.
- Add the soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and cook for 2 more minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a food processor, add the lentils, brown rice, oats, flax eggs, and sautéed vegetables. Pulse 10-12 times until the mixture is slightly chunky.
- Transfer the mixture to a parchment paper-lined loaf pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- To make the glaze, combine the ketchup and maple syrup in a small bowl. Brush half of glaze on top of loaf, reserving the other half for later.
- Bake the loaf for 45-50 minutes, or until an fork inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Brush with the remaining glaze, then slice and serve.