for 6 servings
5 chicken breasts
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
20 slices bacon
1 cup (240 g) BBQ sauce, divided
10 slices cheddar cheese
2 green bell peppers, sliced
½ red onion, sliced
2 red bell peppers, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Cut each chicken breast in half crosswise, then cut the larger half again horizontally, creating 3 cutlets.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, garlic powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, chili powder, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine.
- Pour the spice mix over the chicken cutlets and toss to coat completely in the seasoning. Set the chicken aside.
- Arrange the bacon slices in a 9x5-inch (23x13-cm) loaf pan, making sure the bottom and sides are fully covered, and that the strips hang over the sides.
- Layer in 4 seasoned chicken cutlets, 2 tablespoons of barbecue sauce, 5 slices of cheddar cheese, 4 more chicken cutlets, another 2 tablespoons of barbecue sauce, the green pepper, onion, 2 tablespoons of barbecue sauce, the red pepper, 5 remaining cheese slices, and the remaining chicken. Then, wrap the overhanging strips of bacon over the top of the loaf.
- Cover the loaf with foil and bake for 1 hour. Then remove the foil, drain any excess fat, and bake for another 30 minutes uncovered, making sure the chicken is cooked through and the bacon is brown and crispy.
- Remove the bacon loaf from the oven and turn on the broiler. Invert the loaf onto a wire rack set atop a baking sheet and baste the loaf with the remaining barbecue sauce.
- Broil for 5 minutes, until the glaze dries slightly.
- Slice and serve with rolls or other barbecue party food.