for 6 servings
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 cup (360 g) green beans, halved
1 ½ cups (300 g) short grain white rice
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon sweet paprika
1 tablespoon tomato paste
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
14 oz (395 g) diced tomato
3 cups (720 mL) vegetable broth
½ teaspoon saffron thread, crumbled, or 1/2 tablespoon ground turmeric
2 bay leaves
½ cup (75 g) frozen peas
½ cup (85 g) canned artichoke heart
½ cup (75 g) vegan chorizon, optional
½ cup (15 g) fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 lemon, quartered, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes until it is fragrant.
- Add the yellow bell peppers, red bell peppers, and green beans. Cook stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes until tender.
- Add the rice, smoked paprika, sweet paprika, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Stir until incorporated.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes until the rice starts to sizzle.
- Add the canned tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes until the liquid has evaporated slightly.
- Add the vegetable broth, saffron threads (crush the saffron threads between your fingertips), and bay leaves. Bring to a boil on high heat. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed by the rice, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the peas, artichokes, and sausage, if using. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let sit covered for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the fresh parsley.