3 c. all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 c. (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 c. granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Red food coloring
1/4 c. white chocolate chips, melted, for decorating
24 white star sprinkles, for decorating
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl using a hand mixer (or in the bowl of a stand mixer), beat butter and sugar until fluffy and pale in color. Add egg, milk, and vanilla and beat until combined, then add flour mixture gradually until totally combined.
- Divide dough in half. Shape half the dough into a disc, wrap and plastic wrap. In a bowl, dye the other half of the dough a deep red.
- Divide red dough in half. Roll half the dough into a log, about 2" wide, and pat remaining half of red dough into a disc. Wrap each in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- When ready to roll, preheat oven to 350º and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Lightly flour a clean work surface. Roll out white dough in a thin large rectangle about the length of your red dough log. Roll out the second disc of red dough into a large rectangle about the same size as the white rectangle. Stack the white dough on top of the red dough, then place the red log in the center and wrap both sides of the rectangular doughs around the log. (Now it should like like a bulls eye!)
- Slice log into ¼” rounds and place on baking sheet. Bake until set, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and immediately place a blue M&M into the center of each cookie (while it’s still warm!).
- While cookies are cooling, “glue” white star sprinkles onto M&Ms.