for 4 servings
8 oz dried spathetti (225 g)
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ large yellow onion, minced
2 medium carrots, sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
4 cups white mushroom, sliced (300 g)
1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1 teaspoon pepper, plus more to taste
½ cup red wine (120 mL)
3 cloves garlic, minced
28 oz diced organic tomato, 1 can (795 g)
¼ cup tomato paste (55 g)
2 cups vegetable broth (480 mL)
1 cup dried brown lentil (200 g)
½ teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried rosemary
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish (10 g)
- In a large pot, cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in the same pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, celery, mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Sauté until mushrooms have cooked down and are turning golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir to combine, then add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, lentils, basil, oregano, rosemary, and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 40 minutes, until the bolognese is thickened.
- Serve the bolognese over the pasta, or, for a lighter option, use zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.
- Garnish with parsley.