for 8 servings
18 slices sandwich bread, crusts removed
¼ cup (55 g) unsalted butter, 1/2 stick, melted
1 cup (225 g) chocolate hazelnut spread, divided
3 cups (455 g) vanilla ice cream, softened
- On a large cutting board, lay out 9 slices of bread in a 3x3 grid. Brush the melted butter where the bread slices will touch, then overlap the bread pieces until you have one large square of bread.
- Cover with another cutting board and a heavy pan to weigh it down and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan and cutting board and roll the square with a rolling pin to flatten.
- Pour half of the hazelnut spread on the sheet of bread and spread evenly, leaving a 1-inch (1 cm) gap around the edges.
Starting at the bottom, carefully roll up the bread to form a log and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Using the remaining 9 slices of bread and remaining hazelnut spread, make another log.
- Freeze for 20 minutes.
- Slice the chilled logs into ½-inch (1 cm) thick rounds. There will be about 18 slices per log.
- Place the rolls from 1 log in a parchment-lined 10-inch (25-cm) springform pan. Slice any extra rolls into smaller pieces to fill in the gaps between the whole rolls.
- Place a sheet of parchment on top of the rolls and use a smaller cake pan to press the rolls together, creating a compressed layer. Remove the cake pan and parchment and freeze until solid, about 1 hour.
- Scoop softened ice cream on top of the rolls and spread evenly. Freeze until solid, about 1 hour.
- Add another layer of rolls from the second log on top of the ice cream layer, filling the gaps with smaller pieces of rolls again. Place a sheet of parchment paper on top and use the smaller cake pan to compress the rolls. Remove the pan and parchment and freeze for another hour.
- Remove from the springform pan, slice, and serve.