for 8 servings
BANANA BREAD CRUST
nonstick cooking spray
11 oz (310 g) vanilla wafer, 1 box, divided
1 cup (230 g) unsalted butter, melted
2 ripe bananas
1 cup (200 g) sugar
½ cup (120 mL) vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups (480 mL) whole milk, hot
2 ½ teaspoons gelatin powder
3 oz (85 g) banana pudding mix, 2 boxes
½ cup (100 g) sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
32 oz (905 g) cream cheese
6 large eggs
2 large bananas, sliced
7 vanilla wafers
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 10-inch (25 cm) springform pan with nonstick spray.
- Make the banana bread crust: Set aside 7 vanilla wafers, then add the rest to a zip-top plastic bag and pound with a rolling pin into fine crumbs.
- Transfer the crushed wafers to a medium bowl, add the melted butter, and stir to combine.
- Pour the crust into the prepared pan and press against the bottom to about ¼ inch (6 mm) thick with a flat-bottomed measuring cup.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until smooth. Add the sugar, oil, egg, vanilla, salt, flour, and baking powder. Beat with an electric hand mixer until well-combined.
- Pour the banana bread mixture over the crust and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Make the cheesecake filling: In a large bowl, combine the milk, gelatin, and banana pudding mix. Beat with an electric hand mixer until thick and smooth.
- Add the sugar, vanilla, and cream cheese, and beat again until well-combined.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Pour the cheesecake filling over the banana bread crust.
- Bake for 1 hour, then turn off the oven and leave the cheesecake in the oven. Prop the oven door open slightly with a kitchen towel to let the hot air slowly escape. After 2 hours, remove the cheesecake from the oven. Refrigerate overnight.
- Arrange the sliced bananas on top of the cheesecake. Release the springform, then pipe whipped cream on top of 7 of the bananas. Place the reserved vanilla wafer cookies on top of the whipped cream.
- Slice and serve.