2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 teaspoons salt, divided
2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 cups chopped mushrooms
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken broth
1 (16 ounce) package wide egg noodles
3/4 cup sour cream, or to taste
1. Turn on a multi-cooker (such as Instant Pot(R)) and select Saute function. Heat oil for 1 minute. Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook and stir until onion begins to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Season beef with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add to the pot. Cook and stir until browned evenly on all sides, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and thyme; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in soy sauce.
3. Stir mushrooms into the pot. Stir in flour until evenly incorporated. Pour in chicken broth and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Close and lock the lid. Set timer for 10 minutes. Set to high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions, 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Release pressure carefully using the quick-release method. Open pressure cooker; add egg noodles. Seal and bring to high pressure again, about 5 minutes; cook for 5 minutes.
5. Release pressure naturally according to manufacturer's instruction for 5 minutes. Release remaining pressure using the quick-release method. Open pressure cooker; stir in sour cream.