1 cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
1/4 cup urad dal (split black lentil) flour
salt to taste
1/2 tsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
1/4 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
5 curry leaves (kadi patta)
1 tsp finely chopped green chillies
1 1/2 tsp oil for cooking
- Combine the whole wheat flour, urad dal flour, salt and approx. 1¼ cups of water in a deep bowl and mix well using a whisk. Cover it with a lid and keep aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds. Pour this tempering over the batter and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), sprinkle a little water on it and wipe it off gently using a muslin cloth.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on it and spread it in a circular motion to make a 150 mm. (6”) diameter thin circle.
- Smear 1/8 tsp of oil over it and along the edges and cook on a medium flame till the dosa turns light brown in colour from both the sides.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 to make 11 more dosas.
- Serve immediately with sambhar.