For The Dough
1 tbsp instant dry yeast
2 tbsp sugar
2 1/2 cups plain flour (maida)
3/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp soft butter
plain flour (maida) for dusting
For The Masala
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
1 tsp finely chopped green chillies
1 tsp finely chopped ginger (adrak)
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp chilli powder
salt to taste
1/4 cup finely chopped coriander (dhania)
melted butter for brushing
- For the dough
- Combine the dry yeast, sugar and ¼ cup of lukewarm water, mix gently in a bowl. Cover it with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the plain flour, salt and yeast-sugar mixture in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a soft and loose dough using enough lukewarm water.
- Knead the dough again for 5 minutes till smooth.
- Add the butter and knead very well till the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Shape the dough into a proper round using both your hands while tucking the edges at the bottom.
- Cover it with a dry muslin cloth and keep aside in a warm place for 1 hour or till the dough is double in size.
For the masala
- Heat the butter in a small non-stick pan, add the garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the green chillies and ginger and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Switch off the flame and transfer the mixture in a bowl. Keep aside to cool completely.
- Add the garam masala, chilli powder, salt and coriander, mix well and keep aside.
How to proceed
- After the dough has rested for 1 hour, dust the plain flour over a smooth, flat surface, place the dough over it and knead it well using both your hands.
- Stretch the dough, add the prepared masala and knead very well once again, till all the masala has mixed properly with the dough, while stretching it continuously while kneading.
- Stretch the dough with your fingers to make a 250 mm. X 200 mm. (10” x 8”) diameter oval shape.
- Roll the dough from one end to the other and to make a 200 mm. (8”) long cylindrical roll like a swiss roll and pinch the edge of the rolls so as to seal it properly.
- Place the dough in a greased rectangular aluminium tin of 200 mm. X 25 mm (8" x 3") tin with the pinched edge facing downwards. Cover it with a dry muslin cloth and again keep aside in a warm place for 30 minutes, or till it doubles in size.
- Pre-heat the oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 minutes and place the tin in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 180°c (360°f) and bake it for 20 minutes keep aside to cool slightly.
- Once the bread loaf is slightly cooled, de-mould and brush it with melted butter evenly over it.
- Cut the bread loaf into 13 mm. (½“) bread slices.
- Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container and use as required.