3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons brandy-based orange liqueur (such as Grand Marnier®)
3 tablespoons grated lemon zest
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 2 loaf pans.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, ground ginger, and salt in a bowl; set aside. Cream together the butter and 2 cups sugar in a separate large bowl; beat in the eggs.
- Stir in the lemon zest and orange liqueur. Add the buttermilk. Add the flour mixture while whisking gently. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pans.
- Bake in the preheated ovens until a toothpick or small knife inserted in the crown comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Remove from pans and move to a cooling rack.
- Whisk together the lemon juice and 3/4 cup sugar until the sugar dissolves. Gently drizzle the mixture over the hot loaves. Allow the loaves to cool completely before serving.