1 pound raw jumbo shrimp 21-25 count, peeled and deveined, thawed
2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
2/3 cup shredded coconut sweetened
2 large eggs beaten
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 quart vegetable oil for frying
Thai sweet chili sauce optional, for dipping
- Thaw your shrimp if frozen and pat dry with paper towels. Set aside three small-medium bowls.
- In the first bowl, mix together flour, salt and pepper.
- In the second bowl, beat the eggs.
- In the third bowl, mix together coconut and Panko bread crumbs.
- Holding shrimp by the tail, dredge in the flour mixture, shake off excess and dip into beaten egg. Then dredge thoroughly in the coconut mixture to coat.
- Place the coated shrimp on a baking sheet and chill for 20-30 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan or deep fryer, add 2-3 inches of oil and heat to 375°F.
- Fry shrimp in batches of 2-3 for about 2 minutes until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a wire cooling rack.
- Serve with your Thai sweet chili sauce and enjoy!