How to cook Double Crunch Shrimp:
for 4 servings
1 lb (455 g) medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
4 large eggs
1 ½ cups (360 mL) soda water, cold
2 cups (200 g) cake flour
oil, for frying
3 cups (150 g) panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
1 cup (240 mL) soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
⅓ cup (75 g) light brown sugar
1 pinch red pepper flakes
¼ cup (60 mL) water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
white rice, cooked
scallion, thinly sliced
- Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels, then transfer to a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk the eggs and soda water until combined. Add the cake flour and gently whisk, making sure the batter is still clumpy. Do not overmix.
- Heat the oil in a large pot until it reaches 350˚F (180˚C).
- Add the panko bread crumbs to a shallow bowl.
- Using a slotted spoon, dip the shrimp in the tempura batter, then toss in the panko, making sure to fully coat.
- Fry the shrimp in the hot oil, 5-6 at a time, until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to drain.
- Make the glaze: Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Add the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, and red pepper flakes. Stir until the mixture begins to simmer.
- In a small bowl, combine the water and cornstarch. Add the cornstarch slurry to the saucepan and stir to combine. Cook until the glaze is reduced by half and looks thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the shrimp to a large bowl and pour the glaze over. Toss the shrimp gently to coat with the glaze.
- Serve the shrimp over rice and garnish with scallions.