How to cook Chocolate Snack Cupcakes:
for 24 servings
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (185 g)
¾ cup cocoa powder (90 g)
¾ teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups sugar (300 g)
½ cup warm water (120 mL)
1 cup buttermilk (240 mL)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream (240 mL)
1 cup marshmallow cream (115 g)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (175 g)
⅔ cup heavy cream (160 mL)
1 cup powdered sugar (120 g)
1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Add the sugar and whisk to combine.
- Add the warm water, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Line 2 muffin tins with paper liners.
- Scoop the batter into prepared muffin tins, filling each cup a little more than halfway.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the tops of the cupcakes spring back when gently pressed. Let cool completely.
- Make the marshmallow filling: In a medium bowl, whip the heavy cream with an electric hand mixer until soft peaks form. Add the marshmallow cream and whip until stiff.
- Transfer the filling to a piping bag fitted with a medium round tip or a zip-top bag with a corner snipped off.
- Use the end of a whisk or another utensil to push down the center of each cupcake.
- Pipe the filling into the cupcakes, leveling off the tops if needed. Freeze for 15 minutes while you make the ganache and icing.
- Make the ganache: Add the chocolate chips and heavy cream to a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second increments, until melted. Mix together until smooth.
- Make the icing: In a medium bowl, stir together the powdered sugar and milk until smooth. The icing should fall off the spatula in ribbons. If it is too thin, add a bit more powdered sugar.
- Transfer the icing to a piping bag fitted with a small tip or a zip-top bag with a corner snipped off.
- Dip the top of each cupcake in the ganache, then set aside to dry for 10 minutes.
- Pipe icing curls across the center of the cupcakes and let dry for 15 minutes at room temperature.