How to cook Giant Veggie Burger:
SWEET POTATO & WHITE BEAN
15 oz white bean, 1 can, drained and rinsed (425 g)
1 medium sweet potato, roasted and peeled
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
½ cup bread crumbs (55 g)
⅓ cup nutritional yeast (45 g)
⅓ cup fresh parsley, chopped (15 g)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon red chili flakes
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon flax meal
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
8 oz mushroom, finely chopped (225 g)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 ½ cups lentils, cooked (300 g)
1 cup oats (100 g)
⅓ cup vegan mayonnaise (85 g)
¼ cup ketchup (65 g)
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1 giant round loaf, of your choice
6 slices vegan provolone cheese
red onion, sliced
- Make the Black Bean & Corn burger mix: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, until semi-translucent. Add the garlic and carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the carrots are partially tender.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, coriander, cayenne, salt, pepper, and soy sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes more, until the carrots are tender. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add the black beans to a large bowl, and mash with a potato masher until mostly. Add the oats, corn, and carrot mixture and mix until well-combined.
- Grease a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Using a spoon and your hands, shape the black bean burger mix into a quarter circle shape.
- Make the Chickpea, Quinoa, & Sun-Dried Tomato burger mix: In a food processor, combine the chickpeas, quinoa, bread crumbs, sun-dried tomatoes, tahini, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, and basil. Pulse until smooth. Shape the chickpea, quinoa burger mix into a quarter circle next to the black bean burger mix. Add to the baking sheet with the other burger mix.
- Make the Sweet Potato & White Bean burger mix: In a large bowl, combine the white beans and sweet potato, and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Add the onion, bread crumbs, nutritional yeast, parsley, lemon juice, red chile flakes, garlic powder, salt, and pepper, and mix until well-combined. Add to the baking sheet with the other burger mixes.
- Make the Mushroom Lentil burger mix: In a small bowl, combine the flax meal and water to make a flax egg. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the mushrooms and cook until most of the juices have evaporated, 7-8 minutes. Add the soy sauce and paprika and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat another tablespoon of olive oil in the pan over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the onion and cook for 3-5 minutes, until semi-translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the salt and pepper, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a food processor and add the lentils, oats, and flax egg. Pulse until a chunky paste forms.
- Transfer the lentil mixture to the bowl with the mushrooms and mix until well-combined. Add to the baking sheet.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Shape the burger mixes to match the size of your loaf of bread. Press the borders together to create one cohesive patty.
- Bake the patty for 20 minutes.
- Make the special sauce: In a small bowl, combine the vegan mayo, ketchup, mustard, salt, and pepper, and stir until combined. Transfer to a squeeze bottle.
- Remove the patty from the oven ,and top the Mushroom Lentil and Black Bean & Corn sections with the vegan provolone cheese.
- Broil for 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- With a large bread knife, slice the loaf of bread in half to make a giant bun.
- With large spatulas or bench scrapers, transfer the veggie burger patty onto the bottom half of the bun.
- Spread the avocado crema on top of the the Chickpea Quinoa, Sweet Potato & White Bean sections. Squeeze the special sauce onto the Black Bean & Corn and mushroom Lentil sections.
- Layer on the lettuce, tomatoes, and red onion, and top with the top bun.