Chinese Takeout-Style Tofu And Broccoli
14 ounces firm tofu
1½ teaspoons sesame oil, divided
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
3 cups broccoli florets
3 tablespoons vegetable broth
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1-2 tablespoons cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water)
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons agave syrup
1½ teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
1. Wrap tofu in two layers of paper towels and place on a plate. Put another plate on top of the tofu to weigh it down, and microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until drained.
2. After microwaving, carefully unwrap tofu and slice into ½-1 inch cubes. Pat each cube dry.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add cubes of tofu and cook on all sides until golden brown, approximately 2-4 minutes per side, then remove from pan and set aside.
4. Add broccoli to the hot pan and add vegetable broth. Cover with a lid and reduce heat to medium-low. Steam for 5 minutes.
5. Remove lid and turn heat back up to medium-high.
6. Add garlic, grated ginger, and ½ teaspoon sesame oil. Stir to soften.
7. Add in soy sauce, agave, sesame seeds, and cornstarch slurry. Stir until thickened to desired consistency.
8. Add tofu back into broccoli and sauce mixture.
9. Serve over white rice and garnish with green onion and sesame seeds.
for 4 servings
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons flour, rice flour for gluten-free
4 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cups vegetable broth
½ white onion
1 bell pepper
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1 can black beans
¼ cup olive, sliced
cilantro, as garnish or in the filling
8 corn tortillas
avocado, to top
NON-DAIRY SOUR CREAM
½ cup raw cashews
½ cup water, hot water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
⅛ teaspoon salt
1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together oil and flour over low heat.
2. Add spices and mix together.
3. Slowly add the veggie broth and chili powder while whisking continuously. Let simmer for a few minutes until it begins to thicken slightly.
4. In a separate pot, lightly sauté the onion and peppers for a few minutes, before adding the zucchini, and finally the black beans.
5. Season with pepper and a pinch of salt.
6. Soften the corn tortillas by wrapping in a damp paper towel and microwaving for 10 seconds.
7. Next, spread some of the sauce over the tortilla, and add the filling. Roll and place lined up in a baking dish. Pour the rest of the sauce over the enchiladas. Sprinkle with olives and green onions.
8. Cover with foil and bake at 350˚ (177˚C) for 20 minutes.
9. Soak cashews in hot water for 10 minutes (microwave works) add salt and lemon juice. Blend until creamy.
10. Serve with avocado, cilantro, and a dollop of non-dairy sour cream.
Simple Veggie Curry
for 4 servings
2 tablespoons salt, for water
2 lb , 1-inch cubes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, medium diced
4 clove garlics, minced
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 piece ginger, minced
14 oz diced tomato, can
15 oz chickpeas, drained
15 oz peas, drained
14 oz coconut milk
1. Place potatoes into a large pot or dutch oven and cover with well-salted water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and let the potatoes cook until fork tender–about 12 minutes. Once cooked, drain the potatoes and set them aside.
2. Return the pot to the stove and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add onion and garlic and sauté over medium heat until onion is tender and starts to turn translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
3. Add cumin, cayenne, curry powder, salt, pepper and ginger. Stir to combine before adding tomatoes, chickpeas, and peas.
4. Increase heat to medium-high and stir in the coconut milk. Bring to a simmer before adding the potatoes back to the pot. Reduce heat to low and cook everything together for 3-5 minutes before serving.
Vegan Pesto Pasta
for 8 servings
1 cup fresh basil, packed
1 cup fresh arugula, packed
½ lemon lemon juice
⅓ cup olive oil
½ cup water
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 ¼ cups almond meal
1 lb vegan spaghetti
⅓ cup pasta water, if you're using this as a dip, omit the pasta water
1. Combine basil, arugula, lemon juice, water, and olive oil to a blender and blend for 5-10 seconds.
2. Add garlic, salt, pepper, and almond meal to the blender and blend until completely incorporated.
3. Boil salted water and cook spaghetti according to packaging instructions.
4. When draining the pasta, reserve ⅓ to 1 cup (80 to 235 ml) of water.
5. Once drained, return the pasta to the pot, and stir in the pesto, adding reserved pasta water until the sauce reaches desired consistency.