The Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
for 12 cookies
½ cup sugar
¾ cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
4 oz semi-sweet chocolate chunk, or milk chocolate
4 oz dark chocolate chunk, or you preference
whole milk, to drink, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugars, salt, and butter until a paste has formed with no lumps.
- Whisk in the egg and vanilla, beating until light ribbons fall off the whisk.
- Sift in the flour and baking soda, then fold the mixture with a spatula, being careful not to overmix too much. This will cause the gluten in the flour to toughen which will result in cakier cookies.
- Fold in the chocolate chunks evenly, then chill the dough for at least 30 minutes. For a more intense toffee-like flavor and deeper color, chill the dough overnight. The longer the dough rests, the more complex its flavor will be.
- Scoop the dough with an ice-cream scoop onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, leaving at least 4 inches (10 cm) of space between cookies and 2 inches (5 cm) of space from the edges of the pan so that the cookies can spread evenly.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges have started to barely brown.
- Cool completely, and serve yourself a glass of milk.