Ham Cheese Egg In The Hole Layered Bake
for 6 servings
18 slices bread, white sandwich bread
3 tablespoons butter
18 slices swiss cheese
12 slices ham
4 cups spinach
chives, chopped, to serve
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
3 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 pinch ground nutmeg
2 cups grated gruyere cheese
2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven broiler to high.
- On a cutting board, butter all the toast and transfer to parchment paper-lined baking tray.
- Using a glass, cut a center hole out of 6 slices of bread.
- Broil bread for 5 minutes or until toasted.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- For the Bechamel sauce, melt butter in a saucepan and add in flour, whisking until color slightly darkens.
- Add in milk and simmer on low heat until reduced by half.
- Remove from heat and add salt, pepper, nutmeg, gruyere, and parmesan and stir until fully incorporated.
- In a 9 x 13-inch baking tray lay out 6 pieces of toast.
- Top with a layer of 9 slices of cheese, then 6 slices of ham and 2 cups of spinach.
- Cover spinach with another layer of toast and top with a layer of 9 slices of cheese, then 6 slices of ham and 2 cups of spinach.
- Top the spinach with the 6 hollowed out bread slices.
- Crack an egg into each slice and cover the top layer with bechamel, leaving only the yolks exposed.
- Cover and bake for 35 minutes, or for an addition 10 minutes uncovered.