for 6 servings
4 egg yolks
1 ¼ cups sugar, divided
3 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
¾ cup flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
16 oz cream cheese, room temperature
½ cup heavy whipping cream, cold
½ cup strawberry jam
2 cups fresh strawberry , sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Whisk together eggs, ¾ cups (150 g) sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla until pale and fluffy.
- Into the mixture sift in flour, baking powder & salt. Mix until just combined.
- Pour the sponge cake batter onto a 10x15-inch (25x38 cm) baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool.
- In a mixing bowl beat together cream cheese, ½ cup sugar (100 g) and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Add in heavy cream and beat until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- Cutting widthways, cut the cooled cake into 4 equal rectangles.
- Spread the jam onto 2 rectangles. Then place the two rectangles together and top with a rectangle without any jam.
- Transfer the stack of cake with jam onto a cutting board. Cut in half longways. Then cut widthways into 1 cm (½ inch) thick slices. The cut pieces of cake should be about square in shape.
- Arrange the sliced pieces on cake into a medium sized bowl lined with cling film. Alternate the direction the lines are facing to create a checkered like pattern. As you reach the edges of the bowl, you may need to cut the pieces to fit.
- Fill the cake with the cheesecake filling. Spreading evenly.
- Arrange the strawberries on top making sure they slightly overlap each other.
- Cover the cake with slices of the 4th piece of cake. Wrap the exposed cake with cling film and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- To serve, unwrap the bottom layer of the cake, and place a plate on top. Flip the plate and carefully remove the bowl, and the remaining cling film.
- Slice and serve.